Seiten

Mittwoch, 7. März 2012

We have a fly-out date!!

  Today was busy, but then again most days are. Udexs' leg still isn't perfect. All I can do with him is walk with him, let him play, and ride a little bareback. I've been having a blast trotting him around without a saddle. Anyway, Udex has been very happy with this light schedule, but he really does miss riding. Every time I hop on him he perks up with a huge amount of energy. I can really feel the go he has. He's extremely hot and the lightest squeeze sends him off- we've had several bareback counter sessions this way. Oh well! I'm just happy he's happy!
  We're almost positive that April 3rd Udex will be flying to Los Angeles, California. There he will be quarantined for three days. Stallions and mares require longer quarantine lasting from a week, to months. Luckily for me, Udex is a gelding. In other words that means three days is all that's required. It would also be the same if he were under two years old. With that being said, after the three days of Quarantine, he will be headed off on a very long journey to Casper, Wyoming. As of now, I'm still not sure where he will stay in Casper. It will be a few months until our stable is ready for him. I have a few numbers of dressage riders from the area that can hopefully help me find a nice place for the first few months.
  Preparing Udex for this long journey hasn't exactly been.. fun. He's been getting a lot of shots. I suppose for a normal horse that wouldn't be a problem, but Udex has many, many, many bad past experiences from injections, vets and men. Luckily for Udex, we have a really respectful, kind vet that is so gentle. Normally every time Udex gets his shots we all have to prepare. Most times a twitch is brought out and used. Our vet does shots literally with in a one second time span. Udex doesn't even have time to react. Dr. Kohl will pat Udexs' chest and have him think he will be receiving the shot there, and in the blink of an eye will inject him in the neck.
  Today was rather funny. The vet was supposed to come at 2.00 in the afternoon. At 1.30 I had Udex walking in the arena and playing so he wouldn't have as much energy to use against everyone when the vet came. At 2,30 when our vet wasn't there I decided to put Udex in his stall. It's fine when the vet is late. Emergencies happen. I would rather he be with a colicy horse then mine who just needs injections. Anyways, my mother and I had to go shopping so we did. Around 3.30 my dad called and said he was with our vet at the stable. The vet had came at 3,30!! I got to the barn at around 4,00. I was a bit surprised my 6'foot, meaty dad didn't have Udex out of his stall. The vet was waiting patiently for over an hour!!! Well, Mr. Udex knows the vet. Udex was standing in his stall in the farthest corner from the door, with his tail against the wall. He heard my voice and reached his neck a bit forward, but refused to take a step closer. I put his halter on him and literally had to pull him out of his stall. He stood as still as a statue staring at the vet. I was petting him trying to calm him down. I rubbed my hand down his neck and every time I did so the poor boy would tense up and flinch, expecting a shot. Dr. Kohl took a step towards Udex, and Udex took a leap in the air. I held Udex while Dr. Kohl got closer to him. Udex was anything but happy; the normal reaction from him. He was leaping through the air and kicking out. Dr. Kohl said two things that I really enjoyed and have to quote. The first, "With this horse you have to surprise him with the injections... And the the thing with that is he really hates to be surprised." The second thing he said was "He's a very big horse, and he moves very fast. That's what makes him very difficult to handle." That's oh-so-true!! After Udex was done with his shots Dr. Kohl walked him back to his stall and gave him a treat.
  I was still a bit curios as to why they hadn't taken Udex out of his stall and did the injections without me. The reason was simple though; Udex simply wouldn't do it. He's a horse with many trust issues. If I'm not there with him he will freak out. The vet knew that without me, Udex would be too tense, and that my father would not be able to handle him. Udex is 17,3hh and I'm a 105 pound 5'2 girl. Udex is crazy, and a real hard horse to handle... but I'm the only one that can do it. The reason is simple; trust. He knows me, and I know him.
  There are a lot more shots in the next month to come for Udex! I'm very curios about how he's going to go about with having his blood drawn!! I will have the video camera for that!!! (; In the meantime I'm going to thoroughly enjoy my last month with my horse in Germany.
"Rollkur opponents care for horses. Rollkur proponents care more for success."

0 comments:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com